Hello and welcome to the governors pages for the South Hams Federation. My name is Jane Greaves and I am the current Chair of Governors, I have been a governor for 17 years and Chair for 7.
The Board of Governors of the South Hams Federation represents the five schools within the Federation (Kingsbridge, Loddiswell, Malborough CofE with South Huish, Modbury and Stokenham Primary Schools).
In accordance with the Government’s requirement for all governing bodies, the core strategic functions of the South Hams Federation Board of Governors are
Establishing the strategic direction, by:
- Setting and ensuring clarity of vision, values, and objectives for the Federation
- Agreeing the school improvement strategy with priorities and targets
- Meeting statutory duties
Ensuring accountability, by:
- Appointing the Executive Headteacher (where delegated)
- Monitoring the educational performance of the school/s and progress towards agreed targets
- Performance managing the Executive Headteacher (where delegated)
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Contributing to school self-evaluation
Overseeing financial performance, by:
- Setting the budget
- Monitoring spending against the budget
- Ensuring money is well spent and value for money is obtained
- Ensuring risks to the Federation are managed
Instrument of Government: The South Hams Federation Board of Governors comprises:
- One Executive Headteacher
- Two Parent Governors
- One Staff Governor
- One Local Authority Governor
- Five Co-Opted Governors
- Two Foundation Governors, one of which is Ex-Officio (The Foundation Governors are appointed by Exeter Diocesan Board of Education).
Total number of Governors 12
- The Board of Governors meets six times a year.
- The two Standards Committees meet as required.
- The Ethos Committee meets once a term.
- The Executive Committee (comprising Chair, Executive Headteacher and Federation Business Manager) meets once a month.
The Board of Governor meetings are held in school time, allowing Governors the opportunity to meet the children and staff, undertake Learning Walks and see all four schools operating on a day- to-day basis.
Each year Governors are required to complete a Skills Audit to identify the skills, knowledge and experience to identify any additional skills or experience that the Board ideally requires. The outcome of the audit helps formulate opinion as to whether prospective Governors have the skills to contribute to effective governance and the success of the Federation.
If you need to get in touch with either myself or the Clerk we can be contacted as follows: Mrs Jane Greaves & Mrs Tracey Kidd: c/o Modbury Primary School, Barracks Lane, Modbury, Devon PL21 0RB. Tel: 01548 830312 email: Modbury@southhamsfederation.org.uk
South Hams Federation